Top 165 Strategy-Changing Digital Marketing Statistics
Why are digital marketing statistics important?
We know we need digital marketing statistics to justify the focus of our work, but here are some other reasons why making data-driven decisions in marketing is so important:
Statistics help you prioritize your work. If you’re implementing a multi-channel marketing strategy, you’ll want to know how certain platforms are performing compared to others. With statistics backing your choices, you can understand which channels may require more resources than others.
Digital marketing statistics to help you stay competitive. Armed with these data points, you can understand what others are doing – which can help you outperform your competition.
Keep up with trends. Data reveals patterns and digital marketing trends that can help you identify strategies and platforms that might make sense for early adopters.
Data can make room for other strategies. When you leverage digital marketing statistics, you feel confident in what works. This way, you can spend less time strategizing and focus on other tasks like auditing your website! After all, your digital marketing efforts will be fruitless without a strong website.
Digital Marketing Industry Statistics
Get a bird’s-eye view of the digital marketing industry with these FAQs and statistics.
How big is the digital marketing industry?
- The global digital advertising and marketing market is estimated at $350 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach $786.2 billion by 2026.
- The U.S. digital advertising and marketing market is currently estimated at $460 billion.
- How big is the digital marketing industry
- What is the growth rate of digital marketing?
- Digital marketing is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9% from 2020-2026.
Figures show that it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15.5%, while a search is expected to grow at a rate of 12.2%. Search accounts for 40.9% of the global digital advertising and marketing market.
- In the last year alone, 63% of businesses increased their digital marketing budgets.
- From 2020 to 2021, digital marketing budget spending by businesses increased by 14%.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – 63% of businesses have increased their digital marketing budget
What is the success rate of digital marketing?
- There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, but here are some statistics to help point you in the right direction.
- PPC returns $2 for every $1 spent, resulting in a 200% ROI.
- The paid advertising channels reporting the highest ROI are Facebook Ads and Google Ads.
- 49% of businesses say organic search gives them the best marketing ROI.
- Return $36 for every $1 spent on email marketing.
- Small businesses claim that email marketing is the marketing channel that gives them the highest ROI.
- More than 20% of businesses say the number of leads generated is a major factor in the success of their marketing funnel.
- According to marketers in this Databox, content marketing and SEO provide the best ROI.
What percent of marketing is digital?
- 72% of the overall marketing budget is spent on digital marketing channels.
- 55% of the marketing is digital. Total digital ad spending in 2021 is $436 billion, compared to $196 billion for offline advertising.
- 55% of ads are digital
Will digital marketing be needed in 2022?
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for marketing jobs will grow by 10 percent by 2026—more than the average for all occupations.
- Both Account Marketing Manager and Search Marketing Manager are on CNBC’s list of the 10 fastest-growing jobs in the U.S. for 2022
More Digital Marketing Statistics
On average, local businesses spend 5-10% of their revenue on their digital marketing budget, but for larger businesses, this figure can climb to around 14%.
- People spend 50% more on businesses that regularly respond to reviews.
- 93% of people read online reviews before buying.
- Consumers can spend up to 5x longer on the site after interacting with a negative review.
- Google owns 91% of the total global search engine market share.
- 45% of shoppers shop online and pick up in-store.
- Three-quarters of businesses are reporting how their marketing activities directly impact overall revenue.
- 52% of businesses are using marketing attribution reports.
- 62% of marketers use CRM software for reporting.
- 2022 Online Advertising Statistics
- Online advertising statistics help you understand where to spend, so use these data points to shape your strategy.
How effective is online advertising?
- Digital advertising can increase brand awareness by 80%.
- Consumers are 155% more likely to find your brand-specific terms after seeing a display ad.
- Customers are 70% more likely to purchase a retargeted ad.
- PPC returns $2 for every $1 spent — a 200% ROI.
- When someone searches after initially seeing a relevant display ad, they are 59% more likely to convert.
- After running display ads, users’ search activity increased by 155%.
- 27% of consumers search after seeing their display ad.
- PPC generates twice as many website visitors as SEO.
- The paid advertising channels reporting the highest ROI are Facebook Ads and Google Ads.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – PPC has 200% ROI
- Are you getting the highest ROI with PPC advertising? Find out quickly with the free Google Ads Performance Grader.
How big is the online advertising industry?
- Total search ad spend in 2021 totals $144.8
- Global digital ad spending is estimated at $441 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach $485 billion in 2023.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – Global Digital Advertising Spend
What is the percentage of online advertising?
- Digital advertising will account for 4% of total ad spending in 2021.
- 50% of advertising in 2020 will be online – offline ad spending totaled $196 billion, while digital ad spending reached $378 billion.
- The annual growth rate of digital media is higher than that of offline media.
What is the percentage of online advertising on social media?
- Social media will account for 33% of all digital ad spending in 2022.
- Annual ad spending on social media is $134 billion by 2022, a 17% increase year-over-year.
- 15% of the average business website traffic comes from paid search, while paid social traffic only accounts for 5% of the total website traffic.
- 4% of digital marketers plan to increase their paid social spending in 2022.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – 33% of Advertising Spend on Social Media
How popular is digital advertising?
- 65% of SMBs have PPC activities.
- 45% of small businesses have a paid search strategy. On top of that, 55% use display ads.
- 96% of Google’s revenue comes from Google Ads.
- More Online Advertising Statistics
- Before you spend a cent on online advertising, be sure to check out these PPC stats.
For search advertising, keep the following industry benchmarks in mind:
- Google Ads has an average CTR of 18% across all industries.
- The current average CPC across all industries is $3.53.
- The average cost per acquisition across all industries is $41.40.
- The average conversion rate across all industries is 82%.
- Last year alone, digital ad fraud cost U.S. advertisers $15.9 billion.
- Less than 20% of marketers use landing page A/B testing to increase conversions. Not sure what to test? Get some inspiration from these landing page examples.
- About 70% to 80% completely ignore paid digital advertising. Make sure your ad copy speaks to your target market to stand out.
SEO Statistics for 2022
These SEO trends and statistics will paint a picture of the industry and where your business fits.
How big is the SEO market?
- The search engine optimization industry is worth $80 billion.
- The SEO industry was worth $43 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach $86 billion by 2023.
How much traffic does SEO generate?
- 53% of website traffic comes from organic search.
- Businesses that blogged saw a 55% increase in website traffic.
Will SEO still matter in 2022?
- 61% of marketers say generating traffic and leads is their number one challenge…so yes.
- SEO Statistics – Website traffic is the number one challenge for digital marketing
How can SEO improve ROI?
- The close rate for SEO leads is close to 15%.
- 49% of businesses say organic search gives them the best marketing ROI.
How much do big companies spend on SEO?
- Large companies can spend anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 per month on SEO, depending on where they are in their strategy.
- Small to mid-sized companies can spend anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 per month on SEO.
- Small and local businesses spend $1,000 to $5,000 per month on SEO.
What percentage of people visit page 2 on Google?
Only 25% of people visit the second page on Google. In other words, 75% of people never scroll past the first page of the SERPs.
What is a good organic search percentage?
- The average CTR of the top sites in Google’s organic search results is 31%.
- A good average organic CTR is between 3-5%.
More SEO Statistics
- Here are more SEO trends and statistics to watch this year.
- The average voice search result is only 29 words. Keep voice search competitive, keep your brand’s organic search results concise, and use powerful words to help you get your point across quickly.
- 46% of Google searches are for local products or services.
- About 92% of keywords get ten or fewer searches per month.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – 92% of keywords are searched less than 10 times per month
- Identify tons of keywords with our free keyword research tool.
- If local SEO is a priority for your brand, you’re in luck, as 28% of local searches lead to a purchase within 24 hours.
- Google’s algorithm considers over 200 factors when ranking websites.
- A quarter of small business websites don’t even have an H1 tag.
- It’s no secret that content marketing is key to business growth—especially since blogging brands have 434% more index pages than non-blogging brands.
- Half of all browser-based searches on Google end with no clicks. To combat this, try emotional marketing in your content to turn uninterested searchers into click-happy visitors.
- Google Analytics is by far the most frequently used SEO tool.
Social Media Marketing Statistics 2022
Social media marketing statistics are a testament to how fast the space is growing, and these are the data points you don’t want to miss this year.
How big is the social media market?
The social media market size is estimated to be worth .2 billion.
What percentage of marketing is on social media?
On average, businesses spend 14.9% of their marketing budget on social media.
How many businesses use social media for marketing?
- Over 91% of businesses use social media for marketing.
- 91% of businesses use social media or marketing
How competitive is the social media industry?
- 93% of businesses are active on Facebook, and 86% also utilize Facebook ads.
- Currently, there are 55 million companies on LinkedIn.
- There are over 200 million business accounts on Instagram.
- Over 30 million businesses can be seen on Snapchat.
- What will be the fastest-growing social media platforms in 2022?
- TikTok is the fastest growing social media platform, with 40% of businesses planning to include TikTok in their 2022 social media strategies.
- TikTok reached 1 billion active users in just five years (8 years for Facebook!), 100 million of which are from the US.
What will be the most popular social media channels in 2022?
The most popular social media platform in 2022 is Facebook, but this may vary depending on the type of demographic your business is specifically looking for. Check out our handy images below to see which platform is most popular with your audience and industry:
More Social Media Marketing Statistics
- The average American adult spends more than 2 hours a day on social media.
- 91% of consumers visit social media sites from a mobile device. This means you need to make sure your mobile marketing strategy includes social media.
- Nearly half of social media users rely on influencers for brand recommendations. Check out our influencer marketing segment to learn how to capitalize on this trend.
- Fewer than 5% of businesses use Facebook video ads, so this is a major opportunity for brands looking to stand out.
- 90% of Instagram users follow at least one business on the platform.
- Over 80% of B2-B businesses use Twitter for organic social media marketing and Twitter advertising.
- There are 265 million daily active Snapchat users who open the app more than 30 times a day.
- Snapchat users are more likely to purchase products or services from their mobile devices. They are also 60% more likely to make impulse purchases.
- The average swipe rate for Snapchat ads is 50%, and the average cost per swipe is only $0.30 to $1.00.
Social Media Marketing Statistics – Snapchat statistics
- The most trusted social media platform for American consumers is LinkedIn.
- 80% of B2B businesses use LinkedIn for advertising and 96% of B2B content marketers use LinkedIn for organic social media marketing.
- 30% of average business engagement on LinkedIn comes from its employees.
- LinkedIn Ads is a leading audience targeting platform with over 200 targeting characteristics that marketers can choose from.
- TikTok became the social media platform with the highest engagement rate per post.
- 72% of TikTok users find TikTok ads “inspiring” and 70% say TikTok ads are even enjoyable.
- 25% of people on TikTok research or buy a product after seeing a TikTok about it.
- 95% of Pinterest users have the app to help them plan or make purchases. 52% of Pinterest users have seen something on the app and then made a purchase online.
- 64% of consumers purchase after watching a branded video on social media.
Email Marketing Statistics 2022
Check out these statistics to see how effective your email marketing is.
What is the value of the email marketing industry?
The email marketing industry is currently worth .62 billion but will grow to .9 billion by 2027.
How big is the email marketing industry?
By 2024, the number of email users worldwide is expected to grow to 48 billion.
What is the success rate of email marketing?
The industry-wide average open rate is 80%, and the average click-through rate is 2.78%.
Small businesses claim that email marketing is the marketing channel that gives them the highest ROI.
What is the average ROI for email marketing?
The average ROI for email marketing is per .
What is the percentage of marketing emails?
While the available data doesn’t provide clear percentages, marketing emails are known to be prevalent in inboxes. 2 billion emails are sent every day, and people receive around 120 marketing emails every day.
Will email marketing still work in 2022?
87% of businesses use email marketing to distribute their content. This makes it the second most popular marketing channel after social media at 89%.
Is Email Marketing Growing?
- The number of emails sent every day will grow by 2 billion over the next three years. This means that email will become more popular among users and marketers.
- Email marketing is growing. The global email marketing market was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach $17.9 billion by 2027.
- 78% of marketers in 2020 say email is important to their company’s overall success, up from 71% in 2019.
More Email Marketing Statistics
- 64% of small businesses say they use email marketing to reach their ideal customers.
- About 1 in 5 email marketing campaigns are not mobile-friendly.
- 80% of marketers say they would rather give up social media than email marketing.
- 64% of small businesses are already utilizing email marketing, so you won’t miss out on this low-cost way to promote your business.
- 33% of people will open an email simply because they find the subject line attractive.
- 47% of email recipients decide to open emails based on the subject line only.
- Digital Marketing Statistics – Email Marketing with Social Media Statistics Callouts
2022 Website Statistics
Use these wild website stats to help boost your website visibility and performance.
Why is website optimization important?
It takes about half a second for a visitor to form an opinion on your website.
38% of people will stop interacting with a website if the content or layout is not engaging.
Three-quarters of consumers say they judge a company’s trustworthiness based on its website design.
Websites with great user experience generate 400% higher conversion rates.
Digital Marketing Statistics – Website Design and Company Reputation Statistics
What is a good website page load speed?
Nearly half of consumers expect the average website to have a maximum load time of 2 seconds.
What percent of businesses have a website?
72% of small businesses have a website.
More website statistics
- Nearly 60% said they wouldn’t recommend a business if it had a poor mobile website design.
- About 40% of people will stop interacting with a website if images take too long to load.
- 70% of small business websites lack a call to action on their homepage.
- Nearly 90% of consumers shop with a competitor after a poor website experience.
- Investing in the user experience of your website will return you $100 for every $1 you spend.
- 73% of businesses invest in web design to help their brand stand out from the competition.
- 44% of consumers tell others about a negative website experience.
- On average, users read 28% of the text on a website page.
- 90% of website pages do not generate organic traffic. Find optimizations you can apply to your website with our complete on-page SEO visual guide.
- More than half of the world’s website traffic comes from mobile phones.
- Load times longer than 2 seconds will increase the bounce rate by 50%.
- About half of the top-ranking sites on the SERPs are HTTPS. If 85% of people realize the page is an unsafe site, they will abandon the page – even if they are already making a purchase.
- 43% of small businesses plan to improve their website performance this year.
- Want to improve your website performance? Try our free instant website scorer!
- Digital Marketing Statistics – local website rating screen example
- Get similar reports on your website with our free website scorer.
More Digital Marketing Statistics for 2022
Eager for more digital marketing stats? I support your support for these additional digital marketing trends:
- S. e-commerce revenue will grow 7% from 2021 to 2022. Total e-commerce sales in the U.S. are expected to reach $1,001.5 billion by 2023.
- 60% of marketers either don’t know or don’t understand their core Web vitals.
- Video marketing is the most popular media strategy for content marketers.
- 49% of businesses report that their revenue grows faster when they use video content.
- 86% of consumers say they want to see more video content from brands they love.
- 73% of customers are willing to spend more on brands that are completely transparent online.
- 76% of brands report using marketing automation in the past year alone.
- In 2021, 35% of brands will utilize AR or VR in their strategies. As a result, 42% plan to increase investment in 2022.
- Consumers are 35 times more likely to open a mobile message than an email.
- Global retail sales are expected to reach $26 trillion by the end of 2022.
2 thoughts on “Top 165 Strategy-Changing Digital Marketing Statistics”
Pingback: What Free Google Cookies Mean for Your Business - Search Consoles
Pingback: Top 8 Ways to Master Green Marketing - Search Consoles